Note from Sensei:
Nori Murakami – My first teaching assignment was at Anzar High School where I taught social studies. In 2010, I moved to Watsonville High School and began teaching special education. I am currently working as a mentor for the New Teacher Project. I have been co-teaching first grade at Gakko since 2015, and my oldest just graduated from the program last year. I enjoy reading and being outdoors.
Michelle Momii – I got my start in teaching as a special education teacher in Milpitas for K-8 students. For the last 21 years I have taught 1st-3rd in general education for the Cupertino Union School District. Since 2015, I have co-taught first grade at Gakko. I enjoy reading, traveling, baking, hiking, and making crafts on my free time. Interestingly, my mother, Sandra Momii, taught 2nd/3rd grade when Gakko began and I was a student volunteer in her classroom.
Fish and Paper
- Please provide snack and water for child daily.
- Colored Pencils
- Plain pencils
- Plain white t-shirt
- Pen set
- Watercolor set
- Elmer’s Glue
- Glue stick
- 1 Sharpie
- Pencil Box (Labeled with above items in it)
Mon (Japanese Family Crest):
- 7-inch Mon (Japanese family crest) –You can email this to kokoronogakkowatsonville@ gmail.com if that is easier. If you do not have a mon, you may choose one you like. See the Frequently Asked Questions for mon ideas
White t-shirt for art project:
Konichiwa! We look forward to learning Japanese language and culture while making projects inspired by fish and paper. We will fish print (gyotaku) on paper and a t-shirt. By Monday, July 2nd, please send in a plain (no logos or patterns) white t-shirt that is labeled on the collar with your child’s name. Domo arigato goziamasu!
Open House Performance:
- Please have children wear fish-themed or ocean-themed t-shirts or long sleeved shirts; solid color pants or skirt.
- Performance Song/Script can be found on Music Program page.