Note from Sensei:
Aimee Mizuno – I teach at Hall District Elementary in the Pajaro Valley Unified School District. I have also taught 3rd grade and reading intervention. I have been with Gakko for over 10 years. I love to read, hang out with my chihuahua, Daisuke, and try new foods. I was born in Iwata, Japan and have experience living in Japan and in the U.S.
Sarah Ringler – I was born in Yakima, Washington, grew up in Bakersfield, California but have spent most of my life in Santa Cruz. I worked for nearly thirty years for Pajaro Valley Unified School District as a middle school teacher with a short stint in Adult Ed. I’m now retired. I love to cook, write and travel.
In the 5th/6th grade class, students will be completing interviews with family members in conjunction with the themes of immigration (in odd years) and World War II incarceration of Japanese and Japanese Americans (in even years).
- Please provide snack and water for child daily.
- Colored Pencils
- Plain Pencils
- Pencil sharpener
- Watercolor set
- Elmer’s Glue
- Glue stick
- Pencil Box (Labeled with above items in it)
Mon (Japanese Family Crest):
- 7-inch Mon (Japanese family crest) –You can email this to kokoronogakkowatsonville@ gmail.com if that is easier. If you do not have a mon, you may choose one you like. See the Frequently Asked Questions for mon ideas
- Please begin to discuss your family’s immigration history and choose someone to interview about their immigration experience.
Open House Attire for Sixth Graders:
The following items will be needed for Open House which is on the last day of school. If you are not able to get these items, please let Mizuno Sensei know on the first day of Gakko.
- Girls: Yukata, Narrow Obi, White Tabi, Datejime and koshihimo
- Boys: Dark colored happi coat
Open House Performance:
- Boys should wear Hawaiian shirts and leis. Girls should wear long, flowing dresses, flowered headdresses, and leis.
- Performance Song/Script can be found on Music Program page.