Greetings from Kokoro no Gakko! We are very excited for the upcoming program and look forward to having returning and new families join us for the 2020 season. Please read through all of the information below, which includes important details and dates.
School Dates: June 22 through July 2, 2020.
Location: Watsonville Buddhist Temple, 423 Bridge Street, Watsonville
Time: 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 noon, Monday through Friday
Ages: Gakko is available for children who have completed kindergarten (by June 2020) through the 6th grade. Your child should be registered in the class level that they will have completed by June 2020. For example, if your child will complete kindergarten by June 2020, they should be registered in the Gakko kindergarten class.
Tuition: $275 per student for returning families if payment is received by March 15; $290 per student for new families or if payment is received after March 15. Tuition is non-refundable once the child has been admitted even if the child does not attend.
Returning Family Enrollment Period: February 5 – March 15, 2020. Our first enrollment period will be for returning families (those families whose child attended Gakko in 2019) and Board of Directors’ families. All qualified returning families must apply for admission of their child(ren). Children who will complete kindergarten by June 2020 and have siblings who attended Gakko in 2019, in good standing, may enroll during the returning family enrollment period.
Open Enrollment: March 15 through April 30, 2020. The open enrollment period for all families is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Applications that are incomplete will not be considered registered until completed.
Waiting List: There are 10 students in each Gakko class. If enrollment in a particular class exceeds classroom size, registration application date will be used to prioritize enrollment and establish a waiting list, if necessary.
Family Commitments: This special summer program is a parent co-operative that is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. All families are required to participate fully in the program and on committees to maintain the quality of the program for our children. “Family” is defined as the child’s parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and adult family friends. Registrations will be held if service hours have not been completed for prior year.
We thank you in advance for your support! Kokoro no Gakko exists because of your dedication. Commitments include:
Each family is required to serve on one committee during the two-week program. You indicate your committee preference on the registration form. Each committee will require approximately 6 hours of your time. Committee options include:
- Hanamatsuri Festival – April 5, 2020: Cabbage salad preparation, sales and clean up. Approximately 3 hours.
- Obon Festival – July 19, 2020: Cabbage salad preparation, sales and clean up. Children’s game booth set up, ticket sales, prizes and clean up. Approximately 3 hours. You may be working either salad sales or game booth during your shift.
- All fundraising events are at the Watsonville Buddhist Temple. Please review your schedules and confirm you will be available for BOTH dates before you sign up for this committee.
- Instructional Materials
- Prepare arts and crafts materials for student projects, following the provided instructions.
- First prep event may be in May or June before the program starts (may be off-site).
- Additional prep may be done at and during the program. Two 3 hour shifts during the program.
- Food & Hospitality
- Food set-up, clean-up, and supporting food preparation for both the Luncheon event (Friday, June 26) and Open House (Thursday, July 2).
- Moving in (TBD)
- Set-up for Luncheon (Fri, June 26, 10:30 AM)
- Tear down for Luncheon (Fri, June 26, 1:15 PM)
- Set-up Open House (Thursday, July 2, 10-11 AM)
- Tear down Open House and clean facility (Thursday, July 2, 8-10 PM)
#2 Gakko Work Day
Each family is required to work at Gakko one day per enrolled child. If a family member cannot work, the parents are required to find someone to substitute for them. The work hours are 8:45-1:00. The duties are to assist the teachers and staff, work with the children, supervise at recess, help resource specialists, clean facilities as described on the child’s classroom door, help make snacks for teachers & volunteers and support various other activities for the operation of Gakko. In the morning of your work day please check in with the volunteer coordinator to receive your work day assignment. Please note that while the volunteer coordinator will try to assign you to your child’s classroom, assignments depend on the needs of the day. On-line sign-ups for work days are available approximately four weeks before Gakko begins and will be advertised via email and this website under F.A.Q.
#3 Community Service Day
The Watsonville Buddhist Temple generously supports Gakko. We maintain this special relationship by asking Gakko families to lend a helping hand to one of the Temple’s two major events. You indicate your preferred community service day on the registration form.
Obon Festival setup (July 19, 2020)
Chicken Teriyaki Fundraiser (September 12, 2020)
#4 Farmer’s Market and Kitchen Supply Donation
As part of our fundraising efforts, each family is responsible for bringing items to sell at our daily Farmer’s Market on the first day of Gakko. Donations may include purchased or homemade baked goods, snacks, and produce. Donation ideas can be found under F.A.Q.
We also ask families to sign up to bring some of the supplies necessary to keep Gakko running smoothly. The on-line sign-up for supply donations is available approximately two weeks before Gakko begins and will be advertised via email and this website under F.A.Q.
#5 Selling Raffle Tickets for Open House
All families will be issued raffle tickets to sell for the open house, which will take place on the evening of the last day of the program.
Special Needs: If you feel your child has a special need that you would like the Gakko staff to be aware of, let us know. Please note any restrictions, allergies or any other critical medical information in your registration application.
How to Register: Please fill out the on-line registration packet completely during the enrollment period(s) listed above. If you need a paper copy of the registration form or any registration assistance contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Payment: $275 per student for re-enrolling families, if registration and payment is received by March 15, 2020. $290 per student for new families or returning families if registration is received after March 15, 2020.
- Online payment via PayPal. Send payment to email@example.com in the notes field please list the students the payment is for.
- Pay by check: Send tuition payment to Kokoro no Gakko, c/o Phyllis Nagamine, P.O. Box 2063, Freedom, CA 95019 (Check payable to: Kokoro no Gakko).